What is Twitch?
Twitch is the world’s largest live streaming platform. It is also a social networking website since it allows users to follow and interact with each other through chat.
Twitch is specialized in the broadcasting of video game games, although it is increasingly offering more content such as music, lifestyle, talks with users, sports, etc.
It is owned by Amazon, Inc., The platform itself is defined as follows: “Twitch is where millions of people meet live daily to chat, interact and create their own entertainment together.”
According to data Twitch receives 17.5 million visitors per day. In addition, each month, more than 4 million content creators perform live on the platform.
Two-thirds of users are men (65% men and 35% women), although just two years ago the difference was much more pronounced (81% men and 19% women).
How does Twitch work?
Twitch allows users to make and watch live broadcasts. Streamers broadcast an event in real-time and interact with the audience that communicates through chat. Some channels are paid, and can only be accessed through a subscription.
- Center: In the center of the screen you will see a slider with live broadcasts along with a series of recommendations for categories and channels.
- Top bar: The top bar shows all the news of the channels you follow. You can also access live streams from Esports and Music, perform searches, check your rewards, notifications, messages, and access your account settings.
- Left Panel: After logging in, on the left you will see a list of the channels you follow and a list of recommended channels that are broadcasting live.
Categories and Tags
When performing a live, the streamer selects a category and tags that will later be used in search results and recommendations.
There are numerous categories and tags on Twitch, so it is very important to correctly classify your streams so that they reach your audience.
Followers vs. subscribers
Both followers and subscribers of a Twitch channel can watch the streams for free. However, subscribers pay a monthly fee that provides them with a series of advantages when it comes to interacting with the channel.
How to create an account on Twitch?
- Go to the Twitch website
- Click on Register in the upper right corner
- Fill in all the fields of the form
- Enter the verification code sent to your email
- Choose your interests.
- Turn on two-step authentication to keep your account secure and able to go live.
How to set up your profile on Twitch?
On the right side the screen you will find the profile configuration section. Choose online or offline
The Channel, Video Studio and Creator Control Panel options allow you to broadcast live videos, edit videos and manage live broadcasts. In the “Friends” option you can see who you follow and who follows you.
Subscriptions on Twitch
The “Subscriptions” option allows you to manage your subscriptions to different channels. Depending on the subscription type, you can watch ad-free streams, exclusive subscriber streams, talk privately with the streamer, and access subscriber emoticons and badges. Twitch also allows gifting subscriptions to third parties.
4 types of subscriptions on Twitch:
- Subscriptions: Include exclusive emblems and emoticons
- Gift subscriptions: For friends and communities
- Bits: Interact with your favorite streamers
- Turbo: Enjoy Twitch ad-free
In the “Portfolio” option you can manage payments.
Open “Settings” to modify your profile photo and header, the default language.
They are virtual currencies that users can buy to send cheers, animated emoticons to celebrate the best moments.
A Cheer is a chat message that uses Bits, and includes animated emoticons with which your messages will not go unnoticed in the chat and that help you celebrate the best moments.
Twitch has enabled a new function called Whisper, which allows users to send private messages to other users without having to leave the chat in which they are.
How to broadcast live from Twitch?
- Install the streaming software
- Create an account on Twitch.
- Create a Twitch channel.
- Configure the stream on Twitch.
- Connect streaming software to Twitch.
- Start the stream with Twitch.
To configure the stream on Twitch go to the Channel Dashboard and adjust the preferences and the transmission key.
How to make money with Twitch
Add a personalized link to your Paypal account in the chat or create a donation panel so that viewers can make donations to your channel.
Get a portion of the ad revenue on your channel and determine the duration and frequency of intermediate ads. Revenue depends on CPM and active campaigns.