PHP is an open-source server-side scripting language used to develop static or dynamic web applications. PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor.
There are numerous PHP IDEs that offer smart code completion and validate errors in real-time. These tools have a syntax checker and debugger to quickly develop a PHP script.
In this article we will discuss the best PHP code editors and IDEs. Lets get started
1. Eclipse PHP
Eclipse PHP is one of the best code editor for PHP. It highlights the syntax you write. This tool allows you to easily debug the program.
Eclipse PHP Features
- Provides ready-to-use code templates.
- Automatically validate the syntax.
- It supports code refactoring (to improve internal code structure).
- Allows you to manage the project remotely.
- Supports Windows, Linux, and OS X.
NetBeans is one of the best integrated development platforms for PHP developers. It has a project window that displays the list of existing projects.
- Highlight PHP variables and keywords.
- Users can format a code snippet using a keyboard shortcut.
- Automatically fill in the brackets.
- Provide parameter suggestions by typing $ symbol.
- Offers ready-made templates for writing a script.
Codelobster is an integrated development environment for PHP. It is compatible with numerous plugins, including JQuery, Facebook, etc. The tool supports PHP debugger to validate the code.
- Highlights pairs of brackets.
- CodeLobster displays a popup list that contains constants and variables.
- This tool helps you organize files in the project.
- Allows you to hide code blocks that you are not working on.
PHPStorm is a cross-platform IDE for PHP, which allows users to use front-end technologies like HTML, CSS, Sass, and more. In addition, it allows users to perform individual unit tests for small pieces of source code.
Storm PHP Features
- It is compatible with MySQL.
- It supports PHP-based frameworks like Joomla, Magento, CakePHP, etc.
- Contains a built-in code format.
- PHP Storm provides suggestions for variables and methods.
- Automatically fills the code.
TextMate is a code editor developed for macOS. It helps to easily swap one code snippet for another and users can search for specific parts within files. It is one of the best PHP code editor every PHP developer must try once.
- Users can see which files are modified in the file explorer view.
- Helps you eliminate repeated work with macros.
- Supports code folding
- Previously copied text or code can be viewed in the clipboard history.
- Users can control the version of the PHP file with ease.
6. Komodo PHP
Komodo PHP Features
- Helps debug, inspect, and test your code.
- It has tons of plugins to customize the functions.
- Komodo helps you collaborate with your teammates.
- Define your own workflow with project and file navigation.
- Highlight and detect multiple languages within one file.
CodeLite is an open-source code editor for writing PHP programs. That will help you highlight the syntax and can be installed on Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Codelite can be integrated into Cscope (text-based interface to search for code).
- It allows users to customize the color of the code syntax.
- Codelite helps in finding files effortlessly using a tree view.
- It offers a wide range of commands with the functionalities of sorting and changing the syntax.
Geany is a PHP editor that uses the open-source GTK toolkit. It supports numerous file types, including PHP, Perl, HTML, etc.
- Compile and run code easily.
- Simplify project management.
- Supports code folding
- It can automatically close HTML and XML tags.
- Geany provides a list of symbols that helps you know where the symbol is defined.
KWrite is a lightweight PHP code editor. It is developed and maintained by the KDE software community. It has two different input modes, text insert mode and command mode.
- Automatically highlights syntax based on file type
- It is compatible with the KIPI plugin to export images.
- It offers auto-completion of words or phrases
Hope you like this article, see you in the next article. Let us also know your favorite PHP editor in the comment section below.